Temporary rules that became effective Jan. 1, 2016, require an asbestos survey prior to demolition of residential properties. Specifically:

  • An accredited surveyor must conduct the asbestos survey before demolition (removal of a load-bearing wall) at any residence constructed before Jan.1, 2004. The surveyor should supply his credentials upon request.
  • A copy of the asbestos survey must be kept on site and provided to DEQ upon request.


DEQ can grant a waiver of the survey requirement if requested in writing and documentation proves to DEQ's satisfaction that there is no asbestos-containing material present. An asbestos survey is not required if all of the material will be handled and disposed of as asbestos-containing material.

Also, non-residential buildings undergoing remodeling and demolition have always required an asbestos survey. This has not changed.


Visit the DEQ’s asbestos webpage http://www.deq.state.or.us/aq/asbestos/index.htm.

Or, contact the office nearest you:

Benton, Lincoln, Linn, Marion, Polk and Yamhill counties: Call the Western Region – Salem Office to contact Dottie Boyd at 503-378-5086 or 800-349-7677.

Coos, Curry and Western Douglas counties: Call the Western Region – Coos Bay Office to contact Martin Abts at 541-269-2721, ext. 222.

Baker, Gilliam, Grant, Malheur, Morrow, Umatilla, Union, Wallowa and Wheeler counties: Call the Eastern Region – Pendleton Office to contact Tom Hack at 541-278-4626 or 800-304-3513.

Lane County: Call the Lane Regional Air Protection Agency at 541-736-1056.

Crook, Deschutes, Harney, Hood River, Jefferson, Klamath, Lake, Sherman and Wasco counties: Call the Eastern Region – Bend Office to contact Frank Messina at 541-633-2019 or 866-863-6668.

Jackson, Josephine and Eastern Douglas counties: Call the Western Region – Medford Office to contact Steven Croucher at 541-776-6107 or 877-823-3216.

Clackamas, Clatsop, Columbia, Multnomah, Tillamook and Washington counties: Call the Northwest Region – Portland Office to contact Susan Farland at 503-229-5982 or 800-452-4011.